Thursday 2 October 2014

Trifle making :)

So my practical micro teaching is in less than two weeks! To prepare myself, I marched into the food lab with all my ingredients to try and have a hands-on session of trifle making:)) It was a really fun process, I must say! Also, upon watching the many 'how to make a trifle' tutorials, it really seemed like a very simple process of just stacking ingredients up to the brim of glass, but as they say 'you will never know until you try it', I realized today that layering is not something anyone can do! It really is considered as a skill, because not everybody can do it in a snap. As you can see from the photos, my layering is not uniformed:( But thanks to Mrs. Stevenson, I now know what you need to do to get uniformed layering (Shh..! stay tuned for the next blog post if you want to know how!)

Trifle with fruit cocktail, fresh dragon fruit and strawberry topping 


Trifles as most of us know, is an English dessert, and they are authentically made with berries. However, as suggestions were given to me, to make this dish economical and Singaporean, I altered the fruits used in the dish. I brainstormed on the fruits that would be great for presentation and economical for the class at the same time and ta dahh..! red dragon fruit topped the list! the other layer of fruits I picked was fruit cocktail that was a mixture of pears, grapes peaches and maraschino cherries. This I have to admit, may not have been the best choice in terms of colour combination as the cake was yellow, the custard was yellow and the this fruit cocktail mostly ended up to be yellow as well :(. So, I guess I still have to do some tweaking. 
All three attempts smiling at you :)
Anyways, despite all the issues I had, I still think this was a fruitful session, because finding out what needs to be changed and what could remain was the main of objective of the session! I am going to go away now to further prepare myself for my micro teaching, so wish me luck:)  I will be back with a post of on how the session went so do stay tuned:)

Devi 

1 comment:

  1. Devi, Its really hard to make trifle and pastry chef took years to master the layering techniques. So don't be discourage, just do your best. Erm, im not sure if you are using frozen fruits if so, there maybe water migration issue so the cake will look a bit soggy if stands too long. :) you might want to research on it. Anyway good job and hope to see the outcome on coming Tuesday!

    Shinyun

    ReplyDelete